Monday, April 30, 2012

Girls On The Run!

Ashna completed another semester of Girls on the Run and she loved it as much, if not more, than the last time! The program is designed to prepare the girls for a non-competitive 5K and at the same time, teach them about values, social skills, goal setting and more! The girls meet after school twice a week for one hour and fifteen minutes and two wonderful volunteers serve as the coaches. We lucked out again with two great coaches who are passionate about running and kids! We completed the 5K this past weekend and although it started out as a chilly morning, it warmed up quite fast. I did a bit of a panic run as I could not find my daughter anywhere. I intended to walk all 3.1 miles but ended up running more than two! We were supposed to have a designated meeting spot after the race but I forgot! When I realized I forgot, I made a mad dash to find her but she was much ahead of me most of the race, we did not meet until after the race. I found her nonchalantly nibbling on Salsarita chips and salsa sitting in the gazebo where a live DJ was playing music. The adrenaline in me was up full blast and when I finally found her, it came to a complete crash. I came home and napped for 2.5 hours! The girls celebrated with an ice-cream party today as a treat from their coaches!