Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Out with a Bang, In with a Fizzle
Departing Charleston with two back-to-back 4th of July Celebrations with friends was a perfect way to leave Charleston. Having a great time with them and enjoying the fireworks was sentimental. As we said our goodbyes and left the next morning to Cleveland, we felt proud of the time we had there and the many fond memories. But we arrived to our new townhome: cute but dirty, lonely and in a neighborhood that is quiet, only much too quiet. I spent the last two days cleaning every last corner, the cobwebs everywhere, scrubbing the kitchen and bathrooms, vacuuming, dusting, etc. And our stuff from the movers has not even arrived. I think we ended up in a retirement community (which no offense to those of the senior nature, we are friends too of course). My expectations were different, my thoughts of getting a townhome were that making friends would be easier and there would be tons of kids for our children to play with. I thought I could hang out with the other mommies, share books and recipes. So far it looks like our family may have to look elsewhere for playmates, we've spotted very few people that move. We just don’t see anyone around on their bikes, scooters, walkers or otherwise.