Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ashu in a Sari!

Ashu sang bhajans this weekend at the temple and she did it with poise and grace in a full-adult sari. The funny thins is that Ashu always wanted to wear a sari, but I always told her that kids do not wear one. But her teacher requested that all the girls wear yellow saris, if possible; and as a result, I spend FIVE hours making the blouse for Ashu's. I don't know how to make one, nor did I have a pattern. But I am stubborn in that once I start a project I have to finish it.

Ashu was the youngest and looked adorable singing with her friends, commemorating Saraswati, the goddess of knowledge, art and music. The Goddess Saraswati is often dressed in pure white, seated on a white lotus (although her actual vahana is believed to be a swan), which symbolizes that she is founded in the experience of the Absolute Truth. Thus, she not only has the knowledge but also the experience of the Highest Reality. She is mainly associated with the color white, which signifies the purity of true knowledge.