Sunday, November 8, 2009

Superstars of Charleston!

Last night, the kids and I performed superbly (if we do say so ourselves!) in our local Diwali celebrations. The kids and their friends danced to a song called Deewangi Deewangi from the super hit movie “Om Shanti Om.” The song reflects the mad happiness in the air, the love, joy and fun of dancing. The song in the movie features the superstars of Bollywood and our dance portrayed the superstars of Charleston. I was fortunate to perform in a Punjabi dance along with new and existing friends! Our dance was a traditional Giddha, a popular folk dance of women in Punjab and exhibits teasing, fun and exuberance of Punjabi life. We got so wrapped up in the evening; we forgot to take pictures of the groups in our outfits. I did not have even a photograph of the kids! The evening was followed by an amazing Indian vegetarian dinner.