Sunday, December 9, 2007

Must not smile

Akshay had his annual Holiday Concert and played "Frosty the Snowman" and "Jingle Bell Rock" on the piano, but he refused to smile. He refused when we took him to the concert - I tossed it up to butterflies in his tummy. He refused when he played the songs (which is contrary to the pretty jolly songs he was supposed to be playing) - I guessed he was focused hard on his music. He refused after he finished and barely took a bow. He even refused after everything was done with and his teacher, Mrs. Adrian, presented him with a Performance ribbon and certificate. She tried and tried to get him to smile, he would not even budge with her jokes. On our way home, I finally asked him what was up with him and his seriousness today. He said, "Didn't you notice, I never smile when I am performing?" Well, excuse me!